Skip links

Probate and Shares

We are frequently asked for probate help for closing or transferring shares owned by a deceased. The tow largest share registrars are Equiniti and Capita. They are the share registrars for most PLC’s and as such are responsible for the sale and transfer of shares. When someone has died the share registrar like a bank needs to know who is dealing with the estate. for this reason, they will typically ask for a Grant of probate, if the shares are in excess of £5,000. If below this amount then they will typically send a small estates form, requesting a copy of the will, completion of the form, and death certificate. Valuing shares can be undertaken professionally or by simply by reviewing the share valuation online.

Leave a comment